fighting for free hearts

Hollywood, Porn Addiction And Beyond

This review of Joseph Gordon Levitt’s Don Jon is very insightful and helpful.

It’s one of the films about porn addiction in Hollywood at the moment.

The problem for those of us with this addiction, or an addictive past, is that many attempts to explore the problem of porn addiction actually end up triggering us.

After reading this review i can say there’s no way i should see this film. But i love what the reviewer has to say. And getting to the deeper issue of the profound loneliness that plagues us — whether we are porn addicts or not — is crucial.

As we say in Intentional Warriors, and is echoed by other great minds dealing with this area, it’s not really about sex.

Sure, sex is involved, but the deeper issues that drive it must always be examined.  This is why we often use the metaphor of an iceberg to describe the reality underlying our porn addiction.

The sexual acting out is really just 10 percent of the iceberg. The other 90 percent, which is below the waterline, is what’s driving the addictive pattern.  The loneliness; the pain; the cry for validation and affirmation; the need to medicate the wounds of our lives; and so on.

That’s what lies below the waterline. That’s what fuels the acting out. And that seems to be the actual heart of the film Don Juan, based on the review.

If Gordon Levitt exposes that reality in his film as well as this reviewer thinks he has, then that’s a good thing overall.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

%d bloggers like this: